Friday, March 11, 2011

What to Write?

If you blog, how do you decide what to write and how much to share? Today, I came across a post that really struck me because I was in nearly the same situation today with my own daughter. The reason this post jumped out of the screen at me is because this is a woman I admire and look up to for her professional accomplishments and yet she puts it right out there that she has days where she winds up yelling at her children.

As I put in my comments to her, I think it's easy to view other bloggers as being some sort of super human being who does no wrong. Other parents must have it all together and I'm the one who loses my cool with my kids. It's funny, we all think about the fact that we shouldn't judge others in a negative light, but isn't it almost as wrong to judge people into a more positive light, placing them on a pedestal?

After all, when you place someone else on a pedestal, you are in turn putting yourself in a position of inferiority to others. You are telling yourself that this other person is a better parent, wife, daughter, community member, etc. God is the only one in a position to judge and He knows what our place is.  If you truly feel inferior to others, perhaps the thing to do is take a moment and pray for Him to help you become the best person you can be.

So, that leaves me with the internal struggle of what to share and what to write. I don't want to come across as impersonal and insincere but I also don't want to write every personal struggle I have with my husband and children either. It's not that I don't want to share my humanity, it's just that there are some things that I don't feel like broadcasting.

From now on, I think the best thing to do is write from the heart and trust that what He wants me to write will be what comes out.  If He wants me to tell you all about how I failed at letting it go today, you will. If He chooses for me to write about my struggles with a very opinionated 5 year old, you'll hear about that too!

Do you form an image in your mind of how people you know online "just have to be" in real life?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gal! That's one reason I like writing a Christian Blog. I don't have much else to talk about. Since I have no children, or no "job" and my ONLY PASSION is the LORD, then that's what I write about. I do pray first and type what He puts on my heart, and sometimes I put my quarters worth in, but basically its devotions, inspirational stories and such. (With the exception of my "Abortion" post. I got a little personal on that one. As well as using Biblical precepts and Researched facts.
    God Bless,
    PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first stared blogging I was so worried I would run out of things to say! But my fears are no longer because He has constantly provided me with new things to share. I'll share whatever He leads me to share because I'm not doing this for me; I'm doing it to honor God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a new blogger I find myself struggling with the same thing. I think praying about it is the best way to approach it...and just as you said, write from your heart!
    Just became a follower of yours...really liking it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping over from The Blog Hop. I do think it's human and normal to form pre-conceived notions of what we think people/situations will be like. It also agree, you have write from the heart & be honest. Thanks for sharing!! BTW...I'm your newest GFC follower! :)

    Heather
    www.realhousewifega.com
    www.thegiftcloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...