Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Love At the Heart of Service

Today's guest post comes from Carla Maclachlan, the wonderful author of "Applying Truth in Daily Living." I was honored when she answered my call for help asking readers to send me their thoughts and stories. I hope you'll stop by her blog as well!

When I substitute for someone else I want to be mindful to do things like he or she would want them done. For example, Heather’s heartfelt desire for us, her readers, is to learn to serve others in love. Personally, I enjoy serving others, but I’m not certain if I always serve from a motive of love.

In being completely honest with you there are times when I view acts of service as an obligation. There are also times when I’m thinking more of how I want to meet the needs of others rather than how their needs could best be met.

In the same way I chose to be honest about my shortcomings I also want to be honest about those times when I serve out of a genuine motive of love and how I can distinguish the difference.

In 1 Corinthians 13:3 Paul writes: If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

When I serve from a selfish motive I draw attention to myself, focus on the tasks needing to be done rather than the person, consider the ways I might be inconvenienced or I let others know what I am doing.

When I serve from a motive of love I ask God to show me what the person needs rather than providing what I want him to have. When I desire to serve others with love I am patient in my actions and gracious with my words. I am not in a hurry, but want to be thorough in doing all God asks of me. When showing genuine love to others my service is an offering to my Lord Jesus as I desire for Him to receive all the glory.

In John 13:34-35 Jesus said, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

In honor of our Lord Jesus, may we choose daily to serve one another in love.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! I apologize for not visiting before now, but your comments to my plea for help from young moms on my new story got thrown in my spam. Who knows what's up with that. Anyhow, thank you for taking time to give me your insight which was very much appreciated. Have a blessed day!

    ~Cathy Kennedy, Children's Author
    The Tale of Ole Green Eyes

    Check out…
    Wacky Wednesday
    Get Your Hand Out of My Wallet

    PS: Am following you in return. =D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...